STATE OF PLAY, 27 February 2015—August 2015
White Rabbit’s first exhibition of 2015 explores play in all its aspects and on multiple levels. Literally so: moving upward through the Gallery’s four floors takes visitors from the light-hearted games of childhood through the wild antics of adolescence to darker adult games of ambiguity and pretence. In reflecting on imagination, fantasy, role play, and games of risk and deception, the 30 artists whose works are on display themselves play creative games, experimenting with techniques, styles, concepts and media. The exhibition’s format is as experimental as its content—with artworks breaking through floors and ceilings, and positioned to bring out new dimensions of meaning and fun.
- The Empire (2013), in which Jian Jun Xi, best known as a performance artist, reflects on the relationship between American power and Chinese dreams of surpassing it. The artist will be visiting the Gallery during the exhibition to stage performances in this stunning work—the first on Sunday, March 2, from 2 p.m. to 2.15 p.m., followed by a half-hour talk moderated by State of Play curator Barbara Flynn
- Yang Yongliang’s Cigarette Ash Landscape (2013), a radical reworking of the classical landscape scroll
- Yang Fudong’s Miss Huang at M Last Night (2006), a noir film in stills in which a woman and two men enact a universal game of romance and betrayal
- Three works by the celebrated artist Xu Zhen, founder and self-styled “product” of MadeIn Company. The works include Play 201301 (2013), Spread B-041 (2010), and occasional performances of In Just a Blink of an Eye (2005)
- One Kind of Behaviour (2000–2007), a mechanical orchestra of buckets by the Taiwanese artist Shyu Ruey-Shiann
- Two stencil-paintings from Zheng Guogu’s acclaimed series Computer Is Controlled by Pig’s Brain (2007–20014) and the sculptural work 2000 AD and Rust Another 2000 Years (2001–2005), which has never been publicly exhibited
- Zhang Hai’er’s gaudy, outsized and deeply personal images of transvestites in Beijing and Guangzhou
Also on show: works by Bu Hua, Cao Yingbin, Chen Hangfeng, Chow Chun Fai, Dong Wensheng, Guan Xiao, He An, Huang Jingyuan, Huang Yan, Kwan Sheung Chi, Liang Tao, Liao Guohe, Qiu Jiongjiong, Sun Hongbin, Yu Xiao, Wang Luyan, Zhang Dali, Zhou Xiaohu and Zong Ning, and Taiwanese artists Agi Chen and Liao Chien-Chung.
White Rabbit is open from Wednesday to Sunday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. We close for the months of February and August to install new shows.